by Natalie Heather
The weekend is swiftly approaching (yes, I know it’s only Wednesday. I believe this is called “wishful thinking”…) which means we all have a bit of free time to throw around. It isn’t going to be a scorching hot weekend in Montreal, which means that it is the perfect occasion to do some baking and stock up the kitchen with yummies!
This particular recipe is a very yummy desert called Strawberries and Cream Surprise Cupcakes. Mhmm!
“The surprise is that these cupcakes have no butter or oil in them, less sugar and less flour, but do use zucchini, and have a hidden spoon of strawberry jam!”
All you need is…
- 2 medium eggs
- 160 g caster sugar
- 200 g topped & tailed, peeled then grated courgette (zucchini) (200 g weight AFTER the topping tailing and peeling)
- 1 tsp vanila extract
- 100 g white rice flour
- 100 g ground alomnds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 tsp strawberry jam
And here is all you have to do!
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas mark 4 and line a 12 hole muffin or cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl until they are pale and fluffy (this takes up to 4 minutes of solid whisking).
3. Whisk the grated courgette (zucchini) and the vanilla extract into the egg mixture until well incorporated. Finally, whisk in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt until everything is completely combined.
4. Using a large spoon, ladle a couple of spoons of the mixture into each paper case. Add a teaspoon of jam, then cover that with a small spoonful of mixture, in order to seal in the jam.
(The ratio should be roughly two thirds cake mixture at the bottom, then the jam, then one third cake mixture to finish. If you only leave a little bit of cake mixture for the top, you end up with the jam bleeding and splitting out of the top of the cupcake.)
5. Place in the oven for 20 minutes until risen and blonde on top. Once the cupcakes are cooked, cool them down in the tin for 10 minutes.
If you wish to ice them, I recommend a marscapone cheese icing, which must be applied when the cupcakes are completely COLD.
- Number of Servings: 12
Don’t be thrown off by the fact that there is zucchini in it. The zucchini adds oodles of moisture, and as we know, gluten free really needs any extra moisture it can get.
If you try it, let me know! I would love to hear what you think.