A New Year

by Natalie Heather

I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t embarrassed about the radio silence on my blog since… November? That really can’t be right.

I was caught up in just about every kind of crazy – besides Christmas, I needed to get through my finals (and I passed all of them!), get ready for the family trip to England (and by that I mean planning where to go, what to wear – talk about overwhelming) and trying to keep my cool all at the same time. I made it through everything though, and here we are.

I’ll be honest, the last month hasn’t been easy. Getting through my first semester at McGill was a relief, but also a big stress. Up until midterms, I was battling cold after flu after cold. It was terrible, and I missed a lot of classes. Right after the midterms were over, someone very important to me passed away. I’m not trying to throw this in casually, I just don’t want to pour my emotions out on the internet (trust me, you’d be here for days). It was really a terrible first semester at university. But it’s over.

The unexpected death left my family and myself overwhelmed and pretty distressed. We were all very thankful for the the Christmas holidays.

Usually we (and by that I mean my parents, my siblings and myself) are able to spend at least a few hours together on Christmas day, but everyone has somewhere else to be. It was a pretty choppy Christmas, with Robin and I being at home with my parents for the entire holidays, my sister in England for Christmas, and both brothers in and out between our family and their respective partners families. Despite all this, we managed to have everyone together for a bit on Christmas day (Skype counts, right?). A few of the gifts I received include some cute sweaters from Joe Fresh, a lovely Calvin Klein rain jacket, and a gorgeous pair of olive green leather gloves (except I lost one of them at the airport on our way to England! I was so sad, I’m going to go and buy myself another pair).

After the high of Christmas (mhmm, turkey!) the entire family (including boyfriends and girlfriends) flew off to England. London, England. We were there for 8 days, and it was awesome. I, sadly, wasn’t as good a photographer as I should have been, but I do have some good shots. I haven’t uploaded the photographs onto my computer yet, but I will share some of mine, and some of the photographs Robin took. We were a group of 10, and we had a superb time. We stayed in a flat in Covent Garden which had a rooftop terrace which made for an amazing New Years show of the fireworks.

Unfortunately, some of the group was sick with a pretty bad virus. Luckily, or unluckily, I only got sick the day after we arrived home in Montreal. I’ve missed my first week back at university, but I’m hoping this weekend I can fully recover and jump right in. I think I’m off to a good start: a big cup of tea, catching up on all the blog posts I’ve missed while away with CSI in the background. I just wish I could stop coughing…

And so, here we are.